Re: Spotting for the weekend

Mike W4BZM

Jim, I’d drill a little deeper into the statement that “this reflector I our only way of communicating to the entire membership”.  We have the choice, on the 070club.groups site, to communicate via either “Messages” or “Chats”.
     The easy, default method seems to be “Messages”, which go out as e-mails to all club members who subscribe, but not necessarily in real time.  Some of our members (myself included) choose to get only a daily summary of the messages rather than a constant onslaught of e-mail throughout the day.  As a result, messages of “I’m on 30 meters now” and “Just talked to K3xxx” are overcome by events since they arrive much too late to be of use.
     It seems to me that the “Chat” feature of the reflector would be a much better candidate for real-time coordination of QSOs.  Yes, it involves the effort of launching a browser and going to  070club.groups (all that takes is a bookmark) and then calling up chats to see who is active, or establishing a new chat room if you want to be more specific (e.g., a particular POTA or APE).   How tough is that?  It would keep a lot of what I call “QSO chatter” off the e-mail traffic so that can be devoted to club announcements, new member welcomes, and other more long-term issues.  (I see that you, Lee, John, and others have used Chats before, but I’m not sure all our members are aware of it.)
     As always, just a suggestion.

Mike W4BZM