Re: Tarheel Model 75A

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you removed the whip, and attached your long wire to the top of the coil, not clipped to the top of the whip?
Exactly.

And yes, on my Little Tarheel II, using a really long whip, bandwidth on 80m is really narrow and even one turn moves the resonant point pretty far.

As far as batteries go the battery backed power supply in my home shack has just been replace with a LiFePO4 battery backed solution.  One nice thing is that the LiFePO4 battery charges at a heck of a clip compared to how fast I could charge the AGM battery it replaced.  Its also much smaller, vastly lighter.  I'm pretty pleased with that.

I may try to get portable again this coming August in the second half of the month.  If I do, it will be the IC-7300 that gets taken along instead of the KX3/KXPA-100.  Bigger radio but connections are far simpler and less prone to problems in the field.

-p W7PFB
73, don't forget to smile and have fun!