Re: B Prefixes

Steve W3HF

de Jungle Telegraph
I don't want to create an international incident, but I have a copy of
'Call Sign Directory' by Hans Schwarz, published in Germany 1996. I
know things can change but the allocation of 'B' prefixes from this
book is as follows: BA to BN Peoples Republic of China (PRC), the
number and suffix can indicate the area in China; BO to BQ Taiwan,
(Special stations): BR to BU, PRC (Special stations e.g. BS7H for
Scarbrough Reef): Now here's the fly in the oil! BW to BX, PRC
Allocated to foreigners: and last but not least, BY to BZ, PRC Club
stations, or 'co-operators' of club stations. Now the fact that people
have worked BW and BX and been told that the station is in Taiwan,
makes me think that the PRC or ITU must have re-allocated this sub
section? Is Hans Schwarz wrong? Or was the station in which country to
avoid...ah! problems?

However the website may be more accurate...but never take anything on
the web as gospel...Hi! 73s
I just checked the "suspect" calls from my list (BX4AAC, BX5AA,
BN0W, BW0N, and BW0TCC) on the HamCall web server.

All but BN0W showed up with Taiwan addresses. BN0W showed up
as being assigned to Taiwan (based on the indicated flag), but
without a direct address (QSL via BV5KI).

Maybe not definitive, but more information.