Re: PODXS made ARRL Contest letter !

Leland Sly

FT8 is a weak signal mode not a low power mode.  If your audio settings on the computer are set properly you can run as much power as you want on FT8.  Someone did an experiment a while ago using FT8.  A number of hams all over the country sent the same messages.  The wattage varied from 1 watt to 1000 watts.  One station received all messages and could not tell what station was using any power setting based on the received signals.  So it is not the power that matters...it is the received signal.  The sending station may have to use 1000 watts to have the same signal level as another station using 1 watt depending on how the radio waves travel around the earth.

73

Lee N5SLY

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 2:06 PM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Ray:

I always thought that FT8 was a low power mode.  Am I mistaken ???

Jerry  n9avy

On Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 10:30:22 AM CDT, Ray Clements <r.clements@...> wrote:

Exactly

That is why I stated that we need both old and new stations back on the air. I will try to make some PSK contacts on July 4th.

One thing I like about FT8 is that it provides accurate signal reports in dB for both signals sent and signals received. I have heard other stations with signals as strong as +18 dB S/N ratio. Because I have HOA restrictions on antennas at my QTH, my signals sent are typically 5-10 dB lower than signals received. Most PSK contacts send a generic 599 signal report, even when  the signal is  difficult to copy. That is not very helpful.

I can run higher power on FT8 than on PSK31 due to the nature of the signals. If I try to run too much power on PSK, the signal will distort. I run 80-100 watts on FT8 and 25-50 watts on PSK. Both FT8 and PSK 31 can decode signals below the noise floor.

Propagation should be good enough to make PSK contacts if people would get on the air. If the bands are open for FT8 contacts, they should also be open for PSK contacts, but it takes two to tango.

I hope to see some of you on the PSK frequencies.

Ray N9RWC 73

From: "Jerry N9AVY" <n9avy@...>
To: "main@070club.groups.io" <main@070club.groups.io>
Subject: [070Club] PODXS made ARRL Contest letter !

Some recognition is better than none.  PODXS is mentioned twice in the letter. Hopefully we'll get more stations  (new members) to work !

Jerry  n9avy #454

PODXS 070 Club 40m Firecracker Sprint, Jul 3, 2000z to Jul 4, 2000z; PSK31; Bands: 40m Only; RST + (state/province/country); Logs due July 11

--
Jim,  K5SP #483