Re: PODXS made ARRL Contest letter !

Jerry N9AVY

Ray:

There are some stations returning to PSK because they find FT8 and that ilk boring once the novelty wears off.  Get on the air at various times because propagation varies with time of day/night.   July 3  on 40m should produce a bunch of contacts.

Propagation has not been great the last few days here in IL, but as the solar cycle gets better so will propagation (we all hope).  If you follow propagation predictions you see they are optimistic. There have been some sun spots, but nothing real significant that I saw.

The TDW contest earlier this month had lots of stations with the addition of several new members afterwards as well as a few in late May.  So, someone must be hearing PSK signals.

Kee checking PSK freqs and you'll eventually  her something.

73,   Jerry  n9avy

On Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 07:39:11 AM CDT, Ray Clements <r.clements@...> wrote:

We need to get PSK stations on the air both old and new.

My station has been off the air for over a year. I had to disconnect my antennas due to a lot of renovation on the house. With the last job completed, I was able to reconnect the antenna. When I turn on the radio, the first thing I do is check all the PSK watering holes from 40 meters up to 10 meters, including WARC bands. Over the past week, I have seen only a couple of PSK signals on the water fall. After checking PSK, I check all the RTTY frequencies. I have seen only a single RTTY signal and it was too weak to copy.

Since PSK and RTTY were not viable modes, I started up the WSJT-X software and looked for FT8 signals. I was able to make dozens of FT8 contacts on 40m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, and 10m. The contacts included Europe, South and Central America, Caribbean islands, Japan, and many USA and Canada stations. After being off the air for an extended period, being able to make contacts was fun.

If I check PSKreporter.info, the map for the past hour only shows 11 PSK monitors. Only two of those were in USA with nine in Europe. In contrast, there are 5500 active stations on FT8 representing countries from all over the world, including Africa, Australia and the Middle East and many islands in the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian oceans. No wonder I have not seen PSK stations on the waterfall.

As a member of PODX 070 and having achieved LONP status, I would prefer to work PSK rather than FT8, but it seems the only way to work PSK these days is to schedule a contact at a specific time and frequency.  Hopefully, things will be different on Field Day. Staring at an empty waterfall is not very exciting.

Ray N9RWC  73