I have been on every day this week trying to work anybody, yet, only one 40m contact in the log.

I will be on this afternoon, so look for my PSK in the waterfall.

Jim K5SP

On 6/23/2021 7:39 AM, Ray Clements wrote:
We need to get PSK stations on the air both old and new.

My station has been off the air for over a year. I had to disconnect my antennas due to a lot of renovation on the house. With the last job completed, I was able to reconnect the antenna. When I turn on the radio, the first thing I do is check all the PSK watering holes from 40 meters up to 10 meters, including WARC bands. Over the past week, I have seen only a couple of PSK signals on the water fall. After checking PSK, I check all the RTTY frequencies. I have seen only a single RTTY signal and it was too weak to copy.

Since PSK and RTTY were not viable modes, I started up the WSJT-X software and looked for FT8 signals. I was able to make dozens of FT8 contacts on 40m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, and 10m. The contacts included Europe, South and Central America, Caribbean islands, Japan, and many USA and Canada stations. After being off the air for an extended period, being able to make contacts was fun.

If I check PSKreporter.info, the map for the past hour only shows 11 PSK monitors. Only two of those were in USA with nine in Europe. In contrast, there are 5500 active stations on FT8 representing countries from all over the world, including Africa, Australia and the Middle East and many islands in the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian oceans. No wonder I have not seen PSK stations on the waterfall.

As a member of PODX 070 and having achieved LONP status, I would prefer to work PSK rather than FT8, but it seems the only way to work PSK these days is to schedule a contact at a specific time and frequency.  Hopefully, things will be different on Field Day. Staring at an empty waterfall is not very exciting.

Ray N9RWC  73

------ Original Message ------
From: "Jerry N9AVY" <n9avy@...>
To: "main@070club.groups.io" <main@070club.groups.io>
Subject: [070Club] PODXS made ARRL Contest letter !

Some recognition is better than none.  PODXS is mentioned twice in the letter. Hopefully we'll get more stations  (new members) to work !

Jerry  n9avy #454

PODXS 070 Club 40m Firecracker Sprint, Jul 3, 2000z to Jul 4, 2000z; PSK31; Bands: 40m Only; RST + (state/province/country); Logs due July 11

--
Jim,  K5SP #483