Re: ARRL Monitoring report (ARRL Letter)

Stephen Melachrinos

Art -

Question: how do you know if a band is open if you don't see/hear any signals? Someone has to call CQ! If no one makes their presence known by calling CQ, then no one can respond (to a CQ), and there will be no QSOs for anyone to tail-end!

You didn't say if the band was crowded, but I highly doubt that on 6m unless it's a contest weekend or there's extraordinary propagation. And in those cases, "running a frequency" is considered an appropriate usage. And especially on 6m and 10m, where propagation changes minute to minute so you want to keep a signal on the air to catch those changes. (I saw that on 10m two weeks ago during the TDW--signals went up and down in the time it took to make a single QSO.)

If the band isn't crowded, then I don't consider someone calling CQ for a long time to be rude. Maybe it's fruitless, or a waste of time, or a waste of electrons. He's probably just looking for band openings that come and go. But if he isn't QRMing someone then it isn't rude in my book.

Just another opinion...

Steve
W3HF

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Jun 20, 2021 6:08 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] ARRL Monitoring report (ARRL Letter)

I hate to say this, but some of the rudest, dumbest and useless FT8 operators I have experienced here in Southern Oregon hold an Extra Class license.
Each week I am amazed how long these guys just call CQ.
On 6 Meters the record is one and a half hours, on 10 Meters an hour and 20 minutes.
I rarely call CQ. I was told you answer CQs or tail-end existing QSO's  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Pretty much have done that since 1979. I don't have 300 DXCC to my credit, but very few enemies in this hobby.
I will call when the band is open and no one's home, or a couple of short ones to see is the band it open.
I spend more time listening.
No doubt courtesy has been long gone.
73 Art K7DWI #2518

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.