Re: ARRL Monitoring report (ARRL Letter)

Jerry N9AVY

Art:

The few years I was an Official Observer (retired from that), I noticed most of the Notices I sent out were for Extras. That's not to criticize Extras, but I think some operators get sloppy in the habits and don't pay attention.

Had one operator I knew who should have been cited, but since I knew him for many years I decided to landline him that he was splattering over 50 kHz. on the band.  He agreed to turn his power down and I left it at that.  Next day he was back to splattering 50 Khz or more. Just let it go and did nothing because I knew another OO would be on his case. He was in AZ and I'm in IL.  Yes, I also violated protocol for a "friend" because is never made other than by mail.

Older and smarter and just don't care any longer...

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

On Sunday, June 20, 2021, 05:08:26 PM CDT, K7DWI Art <k7dwicn82@...> wrote:

I hate to say this, but some of the rudest, dumbest and useless FT8 operators I have experienced here in Southern Oregon hold an Extra Class license.
Each week I am amazed how long these guys just call CQ.
On 6 Meters the record is one and a half hours, on 10 Meters an hour and 20 minutes.

I rarely call CQ. I was told you answer CQs or tail-end existing QSO's  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Pretty much have done that since 1979. I don't have 300 DXCC to my credit, but very few enemies in this hobby.
I will call when the band is open and no one's home, or a couple of short ones to see is the band it open.
I spend more time listening.

No doubt courtesy has been long gone.

73 Art K7DWI #2518