Re: T-Storm this morning

Jerry N9AVY

Dick:

Wow, that awful !!!     You can't stop lightning because it goes where it WANTS to go.  That's the biggest fear I have in this hobby is getting everything hit like you did.  Looks like a really big black cat crossed your path  Emoji !

Have seen my friend Jim , N7US shack after his 75 ft tower took a lightning hit.  The tower is about 75 ft. from house and there was a big black spot on basement concrete wall.  Looked like everything came down control lines.  His damage was similar to yours... TV, landlines, well, control box for tower (motorized crank up) and a host of other things. Jim is a big time DXer and that put him off the air for some time.

Wonder if you had any sort of lightning protection ?    Or did you wing it like the rest of us ?

It's a lousy, dirty shame that lightning decided to pick on you.  Florida is the lightning capitol of U.S. and the only place worse is somewhere in Africa as I recall, but any place with lightning activity is a bad place.

Sure hope you get it all sorted out with insurance people. They can be real crummy sometimes probably because they don't have any hams working for them.

House I used to own took lightning hit and it came down the cable TV messenger cable which they used #20 wire to make a ground (hillbillies with pickups as employees !).  any how it took out cable TV, zTV, landline, intercom system, security system, but left ham radio untouched. Go figure.

Sorry for all the damage.  Sue Mother Nature !

73,      Jerry  n9avy

On Saturday, June 19, 2021, 01:47:40 PM CDT, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

Hi Jerry,

You faired better than Kathy and I.  We were hit last Monday.  It hit the security light on my garden shed and blew up the electrical sub-panel in the shed, ran down the cable into the main breaker box in the house.  The conduit sub going into the house was cracked and where the wire ran along the soffit, the are lots of bulges now.  So far we have a dead refrigerator,  4 dead TV's, one desktop computer, the cable modem and wifi router and the cable,  I lost the IC7410, which is now totally deaf., but transmits just fine.  It looks like the AH-4 remote turner on the roof is also dead. My SDR receiver that was connected to the dead computer and some other little lights, etc.  It also took out our well controller, so we did not have water for a day.  The attached picture shows where the security light use to be, hi hi.  I found the pieces in about a 30 ft radius of the shed.

The radios were all off and antennas disconnected.  I think when the lightning hit, it induced a large current in my 120ft dipole which is feed by the AH-4.  The surge must have run down the control lines into the radio.  So now we are dealing with the insurance company on covering the loss.  They want everything inspected by a "licensed technician" to verify that it was caused by lightning.  An electrical company and the well repair are not a problem for the lightning inspection, but since there are not many TV or radio repair places any more I have not figured out how to get the other stuff covered.

So now I am using my backup IC7100 that I normally use when mobile for my main rig.  I did find it interesting that with a hex beam and three large wire antennas, and lots of tall tree that the shed was the target.

73
Dick - KC3EF