Re: Lousy conditions

Jerry N9AVY

Milt:

Am just old and confused. Thanks for clarification.

Jerry

On Sunday, April 18, 2021, 08:27:52 PM CDT, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io <n6mg@...> wrote:

Jerry, We've had this conversation before.

In this case, the dinosaurs told you wrong. 

Are you referring to the SFI?...Solar Flux Index?

The higher the SFI is, generally, the better the propagation is, unless the A index is high. Then, things are dead quiet.

Generally, propagation conditions are best when the A index is 15 or lower, and the K index is 3 or lower. Right now, the A index is 16. Besides causing auroral activity, high geomagnetic field conditions can affect the electrons in the ionosphere, reducing the maximum usable frequency (MUF).

The K-index quantifies disturbances in the horizontal component of earth's magnetic field with an integer in the range 0-9 with 1 being calm and 5 or more indicating a geomagnetic storm. It is derived from the maximum fluctuations of horizontal components observed on a magnetometer during a three-hour interval. Right now the K index is 4.

Everything I've learned since I graduated from L.S.U. in 1967, I learned on Google. :-)
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io <main@070Club.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Apr 18, 2021 1:35 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] Lousy conditions

Just quoting what I was told back when the dinosaurs roamed the land...

Jerry   n9avy

On Sunday, April 18, 2021, 03:31:05 PM CDT, Mike / KC7MAW <mneiner@...> wrote:

Are we talking about A index or something else. Everything I have ever read and observed supported a lower A index as being better for propagation...25 is not a good number to be sure, but as I understand things,   going higher isn't going to make things better?  

But, I sort of fly by the seat of my pants anyway..if the bands are dead, they are dead..

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021, 13:17 Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Nothing good.  A Index was in the 70s past couple weeks.

Back at height of last couple Cycles it was around 125. Higher the number the better the propagation.

Jerry  n9avy

On Sunday, April 18, 2021, 03:03:36 PM CDT, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io <n6mg=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Jerry,
What does an A index of 29 mean?
Milt.
N6MG

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070club.groups.io <main@070club.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Apr 18, 2021 11:18 am
Subject: [070Club] Lousy conditions

A index is 29 ... now we know why activity is low.

Jerry  n9avy

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.