Re: Lousy conditions

Jerry N9AVY

Milt:

Am just old and confused. Thanks for clarification.

Jerry

On Sunday, April 18, 2021, 08:27:52 PM CDT, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io <n6mg@...> wrote:

Jerry, We've had this conversation before.

In this case, the dinosaurs told you wrong.

Are you referring to the SFI?...Solar Flux Index?

The higher the SFI is, generally, the better the propagation is, unless the A index is high. Then, things are dead quiet.

Generally, propagation conditions are best when the A index is 15 or lower, and the K index is 3 or lower. Right now, the A index is 16. Besides causing auroral activity, high geomagnetic field conditions can affect the electrons in the ionosphere, reducing the maximum usable frequency (MUF).

The K-index quantifies disturbances in the horizontal component of earth's magnetic field with an integer in the range 0-9 with 1 being calm and 5 or more indicating a geomagnetic storm. It is derived from the maximum fluctuations of horizontal components observed on a magnetometer during a three-hour interval. Right now the K index is 4.

Everything I've learned since I graduated from L.S.U. in 1967, I learned on Google. :-)
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76