Re: KC3EF Spring Road Trip

Jerry N9AVY

Dick:

Unfortunately, that is true for many of us.  Used to be a die-hard 10m op many long years ago.  Could draw a 600 mile circle around my QTH and that was "the zone of silence".   Did try working backscatter and that prodced a few contacts, but close in states around me weren't there yet I could hear others working 9-land stations.

Several years ago I went to visit my Daughter in MN (about 350 miles away) and copied stations on 10m that I could never hear back in Illinois.

Nw it seems that 20m is acting pretty like 10m did back in the day. When W9SMR/9 or KC9UR is on 20m I just can't hear a peep out of them.

So my only chance at clos in stations is on 40/80m, but current propagation isn't that good.  Best bet is to get to know the bands by operating daily and figuring out the propagation by what you hear.  Propagation, IMHO, are like weather foreasts...

Jerry  n9avy

On Friday, April 2, 2021, 11:04:20 AM CDT, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

Hi Jerry,

That is the truth.  When there is a FL oriented contest I have trouble getting contacts within the state and also the close by states.  I can't generate enough ground wave and the sky wave goes over.  I like working POTA and when FL parks are activated, I usually can copy the callers, but no the POTA station.

73
Dick - KC3EF