Re: Diversity of our Membership

Ben Hall

On 3/24/2021 12:48 PM, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io wrote:
and on and on are among the known titles. Can we all maybe reply with
your career?...No details are really necessary. Whatever you're
comfortable sharing. Do we have an "ESQ" in our membership? Milt.
Electro-mechanical engineer. :)

Started my career as a Spaceflight Training Instructor at NASA/Johnson Space Center. Trained almost all of the crew that died on Columbia during my time there. Cried like a baby that morning. :(

Moved on to developing Space Station exercise hardware, which is ironic, I was pretty fat and out of shape at the time. ;)

Then worked testing telecommunications and nuclear plant hardware, testing stuff like half-million volt, 4,000 amp power plant yard disconnection switches during earthquakes, testing nuke plant hardware under Loss of Coolant Accident conditions, testing telco fiber optic switches under all sorts of conditions, and comparatively boring stuff like dropping weights on tractor Roll-Over Protection Structures.

When the dot com bubble burst post 9/11, went to work on Redstone Arsenal, doing all sorts of hands-on stuff. I love my job, not sure I'd want to do anything else. :)

thanks much and 73,
ben, kd5byb