Re: Grid El84, Dry Tortugas

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

 Depending on what you call high power, and what your planned operating time would be, you might be surprised at what your power needs are (I’ll bet you won’t need anything like the 50AH that a 105 AH deep cycle LA battery would give you) and how heavy a battery sized to meet those needs would be.

In particular LiFePO3 batteries are far lighter and can be drawn down further than SLA batteries.  So some careful measurement of how many watt hours you would need and some perusing of the websites of the various LiFePO3 battery purveyors might be useful.

That’s the good news.  The bad news is that those LiFePO3 batteries are sort of expensive.  But companies have been known to contribute/loan gear to DX expeditions, so maybe an email to Bioenno would get you a battery to use to activate EI84 at a power level higher than 5w.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Jan 10, 2021, at 7:59 AM, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

Hi Karl,

I am aware of POTA and have already done a couple of activations.  I will find out who did the activation and ask them what they took with them and how they managed it.

Milt,
I would like to run higher power, but I can seem to get the xyl interested in carrying the 105AH deep cycle battery, hi hi.  We will have to carry everything for the day, so I am looking at keeping it as light as possible.

I will let the group know when and if this is going to happen.

73
Dick - KC3EF