Re: Endorsements deadline (sort of)

Stephen Melachrinos

Delos -

We believe the LONP problems are related to the scripts that drive the membership lists. And these scripts (I believe) were among the first to "fail" when Google deprecated the API that was being used. (I'm not a programmer, but that sounded pretty good, didn't it?)

I'm not sure I said it correctly, but here's a layman's description:

A lot (if not all) of the club's records were/are kept in Google Sheets. These records were updated using scripts written using a Google-defined Application Programming Interface (API). Google announced late in 2019 that they would be modifying the API for Google Sheets, and that meant that certain features of the scripting language would be changing. No one really knew how many of the scripts would be affected, and we've seen some (but not all) of the features fail since the date of the change. One of the largest was that the automated membership routines stopped working. An alternate method was created to accept member applications, but it is not updating certain member files. Some of the artifacts of that are the list of members within the LONP section of the web site--that ends at 2786 even though we are up to 2813 now. One of the consequences of this (we believe) is that the LONP checker is not using the current member list. So no one is getting credit for members above #2786, and members who themselves joined after 2786 get no credit at all (since the database being used doesn't even show them as members). 

So in your particular case, I'll guess that 14 of the member contacts you have in your 1558 total are with members above 2786. (That's comparable to what I have, too.) But since the checker doesn't know about these new members, you don't get the credit. Until we get the code re-written, processing a LONP application will have to include a manual process to credit members above 2786.

This doesn't explain, though, why your LONP 1500 keeps showing up. That's probably another defect in the code somewhere.

Steve
W3HF 

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070club.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Dec 30, 2020 8:52 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] Endorsements deadline (sort of)

Correction: the checker shows my LONP total as 1544.

Delos NO8R

Sent from My iPad 3

On Dec 30, 2020, at 8:48 AM, DelosByrne <drbyrne@...> wrote:

Yeah, it’s interesting...whenever I upload to the awards checker, it tells me that I have a new award which is LONP 1500, so I submit it.  I also have 1558 member numbers but the checker program says I only have 1445.

Delos NO8R

Sent from My iPad 3

On Dec 29, 2020, at 7:43 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Only thing which showed up today was NO8R's LONP 1500  AGAIN !

Jerry

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020, 06:12:14 PM CST, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:

But he uploaded last night Jerry.   They should show up.
Jim K5SP
On 12/29/2020 5:28 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
You should probably submit everything on 12/30 because the 12/31 endorsements won't show up until 1/1/21.

Jerry

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020, 05:25:13 PM CST, Steve R via groups.io <oldjavadrinker@...> wrote:

Thanks Jerry. I decided to do a year end upload last night. I need to sort out all the false IOTA but had a few new endorsements pop up.

Steve
VA3FLF

On Dec 29, 2020, at 18:19, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Have heard from my Boss that he wants all endorsements for 2020 cleared out.  So, I convinced/pleaded with Boss to allow me to finish with endorsements at 12/31/2020.  Anything which comes in after that date will go into next mailing after January.    

With some of the checker problems experienced it's been a difficult job putting everything on a spreadsheet. Please bear with me for any errors/omissions . 

Thank you.

Jerry  N9AVY
Endorsement Director

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Executive Director/Member Services Director

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.