Signal Reports

Leland Sly

If you keep a log of your contacts there are 8 things that it should always include...
Your call sign
The other persons call sign
Date
Time
Band/Frequency
Mode
Signal Report Sent
Signal Report Received

Since you already know 5 of these things...
Your call sign
Date
Time
Band/Frequency
Mode

You only have to get 3 during the QSO...
The other persons call sign
Signal Report Sent
Signal Report Received

As near as I can tell LOTW, eQSL.cc, QRZ, Parks On The Air, FT8 Digital Mode Club...or any other group/organization cares about the Signal Reports when you send in your log...in fact many don't even want them.

Signal reports can not be verified and are mostly completely subjective.

I believe they are simply left over from the early days of radio when folks really wanted to know how others were receiving their signals over the air.

These days if I can hear a station I can usually work a station and if I work them no matter how poor their signal it's still a good QSO and will get confirmed on LOTW, eQSL.cc, etc.

The other thing that doesn't matter is the exact Frequency you are using...everyone simply wants to know what Band you were using.

So much of this is a lot to do about nothing in my opinion.

The most important thing is to have fun doing what you enjoy in the hobby.

73

Lee N5SLY