Re: Antennas for 160m

Jerry N9AVY

Dick:

I find as I get older my tolerances for height decrease exponentially. Have always had a certain amount of acrophobia, but the job required access to high places and had to overcome it by just doing it, but that didn't always work. Remember a 5 story building in Chicago Z(a Gap store) which had an atrium with a smoke detector that could only be reached from a lift.  Had to rent a lift that would fit through front doors and extend up to ceiling.  Looked at it and couldn't do it; so persuaded my partner to go up.   He later got even when we both working on a scissors lift and he started rocking it while it was fully extended - I panicked !

Looking back I did a lot of dumb and wondered why I did them. Had to do it to keep job and customers, I guess. Last year my balance went to pot; so I retired.

You are very lucky you weren't hurt worse. All you had to deal with was comments from XYL.

Climbing to 400 ft. cooling tower is something I would never do.  Your employer should have given you flight pay !

Jerry

On Saturday, December 5, 2020, 07:14:17 PM CST, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

Hi Jerry,

Yes, I was very lucky.  Did not even have bruise on my foot.  I was expecting a visit to the ER after the xyl told me how stupid I was, hi hi.

I never would have gone to the top of a 700 ft plus building and looked over the edge. Don't like heights.  My last employer had me go to the Ivanpah Solar Plant to test and certify the equipment we provided.  I thought no problem, its usually in the control room, but in this case it was at the 400 ft level on the boiler towers.  It looked like there was a single wide trailer placed in the tower that contained the motor controls and our instrumentation.   We could elevator up to 300ft and had to walk up the last 100 ft on a stairway that was made of diamond tread.  You could see all the way down to the ground.  Did not like that at all.  This is why I don't have anything antenna wise that I can't work on from the ground.

Do you still need grid EL59 in LA?   We are planning a trip to TX coast next Feb so we will be going near there.

73
Dick - KC3EF