Re: Antennas for 160m

Scotty W7PSK

EA-3B was the Skywarrior.  You more than likely tanked off the KA-3 Version. I sat in the old bomb bay area
staring at Electronic Warfare scopes and equipment listening to RADARS all day :).   Did a Cruise on the Ranger in 74
and the Midway in 75.  I was in VQ1 at the time.  EC-121 Connie still my favorite but when I got to VQ1 they were in the
middle of retiring them. So when it came time to cross over I either had EP-3Bs or EA-3Bs.  I lost the Toss :).

when I was in VQ-2 I flew on the EP-3Es the updated version of the B's. Again I sat in the dark staring at scopes and listening. 

Got tired of the dark so went crew chief then FE.  Still didn't get to look out the windows much although all my pilots (Except EA-3B since its single pilot) gave me seat time. Loved the Phantom, but they scared the crap out of me every time they went burner on the CAT. Its because I usually was exiting the EA-3B through the Bottom hatch and they always parked us just off #2 Cat just before the island and I took a tour of the deck a couple times.  The one the almost killed me though was the E2 that went high power and blew me down past the island tumbling all the way. I was down for a couple days because of dizzyness.

On 12/4/2020 19:12, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io wrote:
Scotty...
I flew the F-4H & J. The H was basically a D model, with A model engines. The A model engines were incredible. 
Very few weapons, but lot's of camera's, etc. VF-92 from Jan 69 & VF-143  to Feb 72. 
You sure have more time in Nomex than I do! Ha! That Prowler is a huge airplane! The Orion?...you just sort of aim them, huh? That P-C3 is another big boy.
It's all history now, and at the age of 75, I don't let my mind go there too often.
Anyway, now if I can just locate and correct a problem I'm having with my MixW's 'icon.cfg' file, my afternoon will be a success!
Milt
N6MG
-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Dec 4, 2020 3:12 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] Antennas for 160m

Milt what did you fly as a Nasal Aviator :).
I have near 7000 hrs as a Naval Air Crewman.  Started on EC-121Ms then EA-3Bs.  On to EP-3Es as an Airborne Electronic Warfare Operator.  UC-12B (Beech King Air 200) as loadmaster/Crewchief and then P-3C Flight Engineer.

On the related subject, I "HAD" a G5RV that had in a 50Ft Hemlock in the front yard.  About 40ft down the tree, the rest went to the back yard to a 10ft post in the back corner.  I say Had because the tree was a double trunk we had to have removed because a crack developed in it.  So now Im sans anything for 40 and below.

Scotty W7PSK

On 12/3/2020 19:22, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io wrote:
Well, Jerry, I can hardly understand that Dr's order...I mean from someone that built a bookcase/console for his radio and it collapsed, what could possibly go wrong?
On a serious note, I have to own up to falling off an extension ladder a few years ago. I had the ladder extended up to about 10' agl. I was at the top, leaning waaay out to the left, working on a tangled up American flag. Well, so much for the all-important "weights & balances" that I studied as a Naval Aviator.
The ladder flipped around dumping me in the rose bed below. 
What I remember was things going to slow motion on my way down...I remember thinking, 
"This is gonna hurt!"..."This is gonna hurt!"...
I landed on a coiled up 100' heavy duty hose. No pain! But, I bounced a few feet up in the air and landed on the brick knee wall around the roses and wound up with a broken rib and a bruised shoulder.
Land of the free, home of the brave? That American flag now fends for itself!  
Anybody else have ladder stories?
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io <main@070Club.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Dec 3, 2020 4:11 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] Antennas for 160m

Drs. orders - NO Ladders !

Jerry

On Thursday, December 3, 2020, 06:04:27 PM CST, Barry VA7GEM via groups.io <boat.anchor@...> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 06:42 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Barry: 

Thought about taking out a chunk of the tree just below the antenna and then gluing it back together, but problem was how to hold up top of tree while sawing of a few feet. 

Jerry

On Thursday, December 3, 2020, 08:28:02 AM CST, Barry VA7GEM via groups.io <boat.anchor@...> wrote:

Jerry
Easiest way to lower the height is with a chainsaw. 
Bonus is wood for the winter.
Hope to see you on the doubleheader
Barry
Jerry
I reckoned you would just take a few feet out of the bottom.
Old guys should stay off of ladders. My XYL gave mine
to the neighbor.
See you on the Double Header
Barry

--
Scotty W7PSK
Everett, Washington
070 #138

--
Scotty W7PSK
Everett, Washington
070 #138

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.