Re: Antennas for 160m

Jerry N9AVY

Dick:

Had one of those ladders you mentioned. After a couple mishaps with it not locking in, sold it at a garage sale. They were cheaply constructed imitations of Little Giant ladders.  You were lucky to have escaped without major damaged to your foot !

Jerry

On Friday, December 4, 2020, 04:36:06 PM CST, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

Milt & Jerry,

Interesting stories.  I have never fallen off a ladder, but have my own story.  I needed to working on a roof mounted antenna so I got out my 15ft extension ladder and put it up.  Started climbing and got to about 3 1/2 feet off the ground and the top section slid down and stopped on my foot, trapping it.  Apparently the latches had not caught.  So there I was 3 1/2 feet off the ground stuck and trying to figure out how long it would take the xyl to wonder what happened to me.  Should I try to fall over backwards with the ladder on top of me and how much damage would I suffer, being over 70.  I finally managed to get my foot out of the shoe, with some effort and was free.  The xyl thought I was "stupid" for not making sure the upper section of the ladder was securely latched.  I do now, every time I use a ladder.  She still lets me get on the roof, but I think those days are numbered.

I have also had the same problem as Jerry with trees growing over support ropes.  I now use steel cables with pieces of flexible conduit over them to go over the tree limbs.  I have a pulley on the cable with the host rope for the antenna.  I found that if the steel cable gets stuck, a hand winch will break it loose.

73
Dick - KC3EF