73,
BIll
AG4QX

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 2:42 PM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
I think a little discussion on this (as opposed to just a poll) might be interesting.

For psk and other HF digital modes I have used:
1. TenTec Eagle 599AT
2. Elecraft KX3 and KXPA100
3. Icom IC-7300

Of those I think the KX3 hears very slightly better than either the Eagle or the IC-7300.  The filter adjustments on the Eagle drove me batty, the filter arrangement on the KX3 is a thing of beauty and a delight forever, and the filter arrangement on the IC-7300 runs a close second to the KX3.

The problem with the KX3 is that any setup rapidly devolves into a rat’s nest of cables connecting the Signalink, the computer, the KX3, the KXPA-100, and (if I’m going to use is) the PX3 panadapter.  Plus power to everything.  It’s a nightmare.

In comparison, the IC-7300 has just the antenna, one USB cable to the computer, and power.  Very simple and neat.  The internal sound card works really well and avoids the myriad RFI issues I have had with the festoons of cables to get both rig control and the SignaLink USB connected with the KX3.

On transmit my KK7UQ IMD meter suggests that the KX3/KXPA-100 is slightly cleaner on psk31 than the IC-7300, with the Eagle bringing up the rear but not by much.

In terms of ease of use when you’re switching repeatedly between CW, PSK, and SSB phone, the touch screen and UI of the IC-7300 have a slight win over the KX3 and it’s long list of menu items.

Getting things configured for PSK31 was surprisingly easy on the Eagle, a bit of a head scratcher on the KX3, and a snap on the IC-7300.

In terms of bang for the buck the IC-7300 is the hands down winner of the three unless you are a heavy CW sort of person - the KX3 wins hands down for CW, with better filtering, onboard decode for when you can’t quite keep up or get lost, automatic zero beat tuning, etc.

I am not really a DX chaser so the slightly better receiver on the KX3 most often loses out to the convenience and UI of the IC-7300 and my shack is going thru a reorganization to reflect that.

I’d be super interested in the experience of others with various transceivers.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!