Re: Rigs

Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...>

How ya doin', Jerry - it's hard to beat the FTdx3000. I love mine.  Several other members of my local club have this rig and love it, too.  It has a built in soundcard for PSK (and other digital modes) work, and is a superb SSB rig.  They're available new for a heck of a lot less than I paid for mine when it first came out.  You're looking at about $1599 at R&L Electronics with free shipping.  HRO has them for $1689.  The IF DSP is incredible on this rig, as is the receiver.  Is it the highest on the Sherwood receiver testing?  No, but it's a lot higher than the 1000, so you can imagine just how good it must be!

If that's a bit steep for you, the ICOM 7300 has been a hit in my local ham club also.  It's an entry level full-fledged SDR rig.  It's not a radio to take to Field Day and doesn't really thrive in crowded band conditions, but it does pretty well otherwise.  It also has a built in soundcard for digital work.  They can be had for about $1099, and I think there's a $100 rebate going on with them right now.  It's a bit more menu driven than the 3000, though it has a touch screen with "buttons" for many functions.  It has a pretty dang hot receiver, but the selectivity is not quite as good it seems, at least not in actual use.  Don't let me sound like it's not a nice rig - it is, and it's well worth the money.

The Kenwood 590SG is a good rig as well.  It's about $1299.  All of the prices I mentioned here are good through the end of the month, by the way, except the IC7300.  It's good through the end of the year.  They're all coupons or rebates of some sort.

I *think* your 1000MP has a built in AC power supply, so you'd need to add a 25-30 peak load power supply in for either of these rigs as well.  100w on SSB voice peaks draws 23 amps (typical of most T'cvrs, anyhow) for reference.

Let us know what you come up with.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

73

Matt
AK4MK
070 #1708

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 2:14 PM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Been considering a new (or new to me) rig since the FT-1000MP bit the dust after a bunch of years; although it was repaired and seems to be working okay there is a little doubt in the back of my mind that it could go belly up at any time.  That being said, am wondering what others are using these days.

Sold off one of my spare rigs (Alinco DX-SR8T) which had never been out of box nor on the air. A friend and I each bought one a few years ago, but he had all sorts of problems getting it to do PSK  and wasn't successful.  Also, have another rig on the block (TS-850SAT), but I sold off the IF-232C interface which allows it to operate digital modes, etc. . Trying to thin out my accumulation of radios acquired over the years.

So, wondering what rigs everyone is using.  Would like to take a poll, but I don't think it's possible here.

Thanks.

Jerry  N9AVY