Re: Rigs

Paula K7PAX #1739

Jerry, I am trying to decide on a new rig too. My hubby said I could have a new radio of my choice for my birthday. I was thinking the Yeasu FTdx-101MP because it will give me 200 watts - an improvement over my IC-7000 at 100 watts. But someone said if it were them, they would get an IC-7300 AND an Elecraft KPA-500 amplifier, and save $700 over the Yeasu. So I have to ask myself, would I ever use all the bells and whistles on the FTdx-101MP or would the IC-7300 keep me happy, and I get an excellent amp I could use with any rig down the road? I am not a contester, except for casual contests, but mostly like to work digital and chase DX.

Paula K7PAX

On Nov 20, 2020, at 11:14 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

´╗┐Been considering a new (or new to me) rig since the FT-1000MP bit the dust after a bunch of years; although it was repaired and seems to be working okay there is a little doubt in the back of my mind that it could go belly up at any time. That being said, am wondering what others are using these days.

Sold off one of my spare rigs (Alinco DX-SR8T) which had never been out of box nor on the air. A friend and I each bought one a few years ago, but he had all sorts of problems getting it to do PSK and wasn't successful. Also, have another rig on the block (TS-850SAT), but I sold off the IF-232C interface which allows it to operate digital modes, etc. . Trying to thin out my accumulation of radios acquired over the years.

So, wondering what rigs everyone is using. Would like to take a poll, but I don't think it's possible here.

Thanks.