Re: Great Pumpkin 160 M Sprint Results

Barry VA7GEM

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 06:02 AM, <boat.anchor@...> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 05:36 AM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
My congrats to Stan W9SMR/9 for his Top Dawg in the Great Pumpkin AND simultaneously completing the Top Band Endorsement - on a "jury-rigged" Inverted L!  Way to go Stan!  Awesome!
Stan
If you should find the time I would be most interested in your antenna configuration. I attempted a similar layout with much less spectacular results.
From the shack I have 75" of RG400 which connects to the base of a B'nut HX9V. This does a great job on 80-6m but typically good is never enough and I wish to dip my toe in 160M. Starting at the feedpoint of the B'nut I used a 50pF doorknob cap to connect 132" of multistrand wire to the feedpoint. This seems to tune well and makes a few 160M FT8 contacts since Jan01/2018. They range from 27-6517Kms. I am struggling with defining next step for improvement,
Cheers, stay safe, hug the family
Barry
VA7GEM
I should mention the multi strand starts at ground level running vertical for 32", then hor W-E for 40" then right angle N-S
for the balance
cheers
Barry