locked Re: HF Digital Mode Band Plan Review

Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>

The point is that Joe and his FT/JT modes took over frequencies that were, by gentleman’s agreement, allocated to other modes.  On 17 meters, he chose the PSK frequency to be his anchor, unilaterally and without discussion or consultation.  Aside from the fact that it was just plain rude, it was not good amateur practice.

I have used most of the FT8 modes just so I could get a feel for what goes on there, and frankly I’d rather watch paint dry while sandpapering my behind.  The fact that people are getting WAS and DXCC operating FT8 is laughable; it requires zero skill and nearly zero operator interaction.  It would have been a great mode for propagation studies – except that many of the stations operating FT8 are running considerable amounts of power.  It is ham radio about 0.1% more than Echolink is; requiring patience does NOT make it ham radio.  RF does NOT make it ham radio.  The OPERATOR makes it ham radio – and FT/JT modes are pretty much devoid of operator inputs.

If you like it – if other people like it – then fine, but your enjoyment should NOT have a negative impact on the enjoyment of others.  We get enough of that from the liberal left.

My $2.38 worth.  Flame if you wish, but don’t expect a response.

Mike

WM4B