Re: Debian 10 linux + Fldigi + Signalink USB + Kenwood TS-570D/G

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

In my experience, any problem with a SignaLink USB that I encounter I eventually discover is RF pickup either on the USB cable from the computer to the SignaLink USB, or on the cables from the SignaLink USB to the rig.  If I were you I’d put ferrites on both cables, or better yet run both cables through toroids (use as many wraps as you can manage) and see if the problem goes away.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Jul 18, 2020, at 7:34 PM, Doug Behl <dbehl@...> wrote:

Good evening,

As a new member, and want to thank everyone for their warm welcome to the club.  I was on 40 meters this evening, and several members contacted me to extend their welcome.  It was very kind, and unexpected!

Before writing this message, I reviewed the group message history to see if there was an issue similar to mine, but couldn't find anything.  Maybe someone has some ideas?

The issue:

  • 9 times out of 10, the PSK-31 transmission works perfectly.  However, 1 out of 10 times, I hear the Signalink click, the red light comes on, but there is no power out on the power meter.  Sometimes, it's 30 seconds into the transmission before noticing that no RF is getting out.  When it happens, the transmission needs to be stopped, and restarted.

Here is my setup:

  • Kenwood TS-570 D/G
  • Signalink USB
  • Debian 10.4 (stable branch)
  • Flrig 1.3.42 (old, but it is the version that comes with the stable branch)
  • Fldigi 4.1.01 (old, but it is the version that comes with the stable branch)

More background:

  • I hadn't used PSK for a couple of years, and set everything up again, about a month ago.
  • Since going off the air, I have switched computers.  I was running Debian 8 or 9 stable, and the stable version of Fldigi and Flrig.  I don't recall ever having this issue before.
  • Spent quite a bit of time over the past couple of days, tweaking the settings, and the following seems to work best.  However, no combination of settings were found that would address the issue.
  • Current settings:
    • Kenwood TS-570D/G
      • menu 33 - Input level for digital set to 1
      • menu 34 - Output level for digital set to 3
    • Signalink USB
      • Jumper module SLMOD13K set to position 1
      • Internal jumpers JP2, JP3 and JP4 not connected
      • TX @ 10 o'clock
      • RX @ 3 o'clock
      • DLY @ 12 o'clock
    • Pulse Audio (pavucontrol)
      • Output devices PCM2904 Audio Codec Analog Stereo set at 50%
      • Input devices PCM2904 Audio Codec Analog Stereo set at 100%
    • These settings work well, produce about 20 watts out on my Kenwood, and I receive good reports.  Just doesn't work 10% of the time.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful.

Stay cool, and stay safe!

Best regards,

Doug VE3XDB