Re: N1ZZZ Redeye Ragchew

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

On Jul 16, 2020, at 12:29 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

nd good, BUT if you check stations in same town using the "Grids" on the callsign box, you will get a few stations to choose from and most will have the correct grid for the town. That way you'll get a better selection for that grid; however, be careful because there are some stations who appear to be out of state having moved. I think this is a better way as sometimes grid lines aren't clearly defined.

It’s astonishingly easy to have two addresses in the same town be different grid squares. There are hams who live just north of me who list their address as Duvall, WA who are in cn97, and there are some who live in CN87. The line between CM97 and CN97 runs, I am not kidding you, right smack down the middle of the Snoqualmie valley.

The Maidenhead grid locator for a location is just a different way of specifying the latitude and longitude of that spot on earth using the WGS84 datum. What grid square a location falls in is completely and clearly defined by the lat/long of that location, so I’m not sure what you mean by ’aren’t clearly defined’?

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!