Re: Storms

Geary McDowell

Well Jim, and others too I'm sure:

We had five nights of storms in SW OK between midnight and daylight, unusual for us.  Our's are normally afternoon into the evening hours.  My station is well-grounded, and everything stays connected all the time being the NCS here.  Well, at least for the past twelve years of so I've been licensed.

The first night, Friday night, my neighbor across the back fence took a lightning hit, got a hole put in her roof, lost her A/C and Dish.  After that my wx station on top of my tower stopped transmitting and so did my Icom 718.  I smelled smoke for a half-hour, there were sparks coming out of my 6 antennae, 6 radio switch within inches of my hand as I had just laid down the mic on my new Kenwood TM-v71A accepting a flooding report from one of our spotters, as I am our storm team NCS.  All three HF antennas are still up, appear okay, SWR is always crazy depending on the time of day ranging from <1.1 to over 8.0.  My 718 was still not right after getting it back from a repair shop a couple of years ago in Washington state, I needed to send it Plano, TX to get if checked, now I surely will.  HI HI.  I was within about 34 days of the 363 endorsement, coming up on the next five weeks of needing a lot of contacts, which is stopped for now.  I had been looking at another 718 anyway, I like the radio, or a 7300.  But once I get outside on a day I can walk/stand much, I'll closely check my antennas.  The two wires need to come down for a roof repair anyway.  I just reworked the vertical in April.  If I have more damage than I am thinking, I might just be out of the HF game totally.  I enjoy digital and have met many fun HAMs to visit with, and those who have had a QSO with me know I can get a bit windy in a QSO.  I think my longest is about 1 hour and 20 minutes.  HI HI

So long for now at least.
Geary McDowell, stuck in SW OK instead of central TX where I belong.  HI HI
KE5IRK in the Lawton-Fort Sill community.

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 7:43 AM Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:

I recall, when I was living in San Diego area, it rarely had lightning also.  (I was WB6EWH back then).

Here in north Texas, we experience these severe storms quite frequently during the Spring/early summer months.  The warm moist air coming up from the gulf meets the cooler air coming from the north and violent storms are created, many times spawning tornado activity.   Several years ago, one came through causing all windows on west side of house to be broken out, over 10K damage to 2 vehicles, new roof, antenna's replaced. Overall over 20K damage.

When these form up, it's time to unplug all gear, disconnect antennas, and save the rigs.

Jim K5SP

On 6/19/2020 9:13 PM, Eric wrote:
Sorry to hear it Jim.

We seldom get lightning here, but it happens.  Here was a strike near our house last year.

Don’t know if the list handles attachments.

Another country heard from

73 de Eric,KG6MZS

On Jun 19, 2020, at 6:37 PM, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:

We are currently undergoing very heavy thunderstorms, high winds, lightning, and very heavy rain.

Supposed to be more of same tomorrow.  If so, will most likely not be on the air.

Jim,  K5SP #483

Jim,  K5SP #483