Re: ARRL & Band Plan

Jerry N9AVY

Give them 100 kHz. of the phone bands ! No much activity there...

jerry

On Thursday, June 11, 2020, 05:42:25 PM CDT, K8TOM <tsingle@...> wrote:

The following is an excerpt from the monthly newsletter of Mike Ritz, W7VO

Director, ARRL Northwestern Division.  I received it yesterday.

Tom
K8TOM
815

"There has been so much activity in fact, that the group responsible for
the ever popular FT-x software are looking at ways to expand beyond what
are now single-channel (2.8 kHz wide) blips on the HF bands. They’ve
outgrown the current slots, and are bursting at the seams.  I can attest
to that, as the Thursday morning before the CQ WPX CW contest I was
strolling through 20 meters to check band conditions, and to my
amazement there were absolutely no CW, RTTY, or even SSB stations on the
air. Not one! What was on 20 meters? About 40 or so FT-8 stations
centered around 14.074 MHz. As I've said before: The FT-x hype is real,
as is the technological disruption of “conventional” amateur modes.

The question raised is: How to expand for FT-x, and not infringe upon
other “digital mode toes”? As a result, the ARRL Band Planning
committee has been asked to be involved in helping to coordinate the
digital spectrum beyond our initial charter, which was to mitigate and
separate wide-band and narrow-band digital into regulated FCC Part 97
allotments. The digital players are now looking at a full digital
spectrum coordination effort, a real job of herding cats if ever there
was one.

I suggested to ARRL President Roderick, K5UR that this really needs to
be a new and separate committee that contains representatives from ALL
of the major stakeholders in the digital world, ie: FT-x, FLdigi, PSK,
MFSK, RTTY, Winlink, and the myriad of other popular modes, and not just
the current committee populated with only ARRL Board members, as it does
now.  What the digital players are looking at is coming up with a
coordinated plan for the HF digital spectrum, similar to what is done
with VHF and UHF repeater coordination.  In my opinion that needs to be
accomplished with ARRL assistance and support, but not totally upon the
shoulders of the ARRL. The ARRL can be the coordinator of the effort and
publish the results, but the input and work should be burdened by the
digital stakeholders. This is still in the initial stages of discussion,
and I’ll let you know how this develops."