Re: CN98, CN96

Steve McEdwards

Hi Paul,
A couple of years back I ran a Little Tarheel II on my pickup with an Ft857d, only SSB but I made all kind of contacts all over the USA and Europe. I found it works really well.
Good luck
73 de Steve
VA3TPS #526

On Sun., 7 Jun. 2020 at 12:50 p.m., Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
<w7pfb@...> wrote:
Ok, folks, things are finally starting to open up here in WA state.  Which means it’s time for me to get moving on activating CN98 and CN96.
If you have other grids you need in WA state by all means add them to the list.

Here’s my plan:
1.  I need to arrange to have a PSK station in the car.  My current plan is to run my KX3 and KXPA-100, which I’ve been using lately for PSK and liked quite a bit.  I don’t like Windows but the computer side of things will be a Windows laptop.

2.  I need some portable antenna.  I’ve been using the Buddipole for portable stuff but it’s a pain and I’ve been unimpressed with performance.  So my plan is looking a lot like a Little Tarheel II with a long whip, and a mag mount on top of my car.  I have no plans to run it when the car is in motion so that’s not an issue.  If folks have better ideas for antennas by all means let me know.  I want to be able to work from parking lots in parks, pretty much wherever I can park the car.  So throwing an end-fed up into a tree might not be the best plan.

3.  Once I get the station details worked out I will ask folks for some help testing it out here in CN97 where I can solve any glitches easily.

4.  Once it’s been all debugged I’ll take the show on the road.

My first trip will be to the SW corner of CN98.  I don’t think that’s ideally situated for propagation but it is proximate to my home, so I can dash up there, run for six hours or so, then come home.

After that I will start trying to find a good place on the east side of the mountains, where I suspect prop will be a little better.

Finally, Mount Rainier lies within CN96.  I think it would be a delight to drive up onto the mountain, go for a run on the trails, and operate PSK31 for a while.  I’m thinking Sunrise might be nice, and it’s up at about 6500 feet so that might be an advantage.

Comments?  Suggestions?  I’m eager to give this a whirl.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!