Re: More FT8 creep

Dan Morris - KZ3T

That is true Jerry, however, based on what you have said then if we don’t do anything then nothing will happen.  One never knows if there are enough people who send in emails and really complain.  But if we sit back and do nothing just because there may be more FT8 operators than other modes, guess what, they will take over anyway!!

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On May 26, 2020, at 1:34 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Steve:

After many years of working with ARRL, I doubt that they will pay much attention because the FT8 guys are a big source of revenue (memberships, awards, LoTW, and their own program to make FT modes
more popular). ARRL hasn't been listening to hams for years and it has shown in decreasing membership.

I dropped ARRL a few years back over a few issues, but came back this year just to see if anything changed. I served a few years as an OO and 16 years working at the incoming bureau.

I digress, but the issue is whether ARRL will do anything about the FT8 encroachment upon other frequencies ? It's very doubtful. The squeaky gears will get the grease and there are more FT8 operators than
other digital modes ; so the outcome is very predictable at this point.

Jerry

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020, 11:26:03 AM CDT, Steve R via groups.io <oldjavadrinker@...> wrote:

I am not trying to stir the pot here but someone tried again today to discuss encroachment and here is the thread from WSJTX group. I think all of us need to contact ARRL again and keep hammering this issue. I will also hit RAC again as well. I know they are aware of this but I really think...hate to say it, just because this mode is from DR JOE TAYLOR he seems to get free reign. It doesn't seem right to me that you just drop a frequency in a software program and suddenly its yours for the keeping. Anyway, squeaky wheel gets the oil. All we can do is keep screaming. Thanks guys.

Steve
VA3FLF / KM4FLF
2301

-----------------------------------

here has been several trying to voice their opinion about the new frequencies of FT8.
The moderators are not allowing these opinions be heard on this webpage. No reason to squeeze the PSK or wide mode frequencies when they can go up in frequency say .076

 groups@...
4:28am   #10625

On 26/05/2020 08:31, Pat via groups.io wrote:
There has been several trying to voice their opinion about the new frequencies of FT8.
The moderators are not allowing these opinions be heard on this webpage. No reason to squeeze the PSK or wide mode frequencies when they can go up in frequency say .076
The moderators know that licencing, band plan, and certain other matters can quickly degenerate beyond reasonable discussion so we have to be quick to react.

Roger, G4HZA

 neil_zampella
9:12am   #10647

I beg to differ.

I'm seeing a few people posting their thoughts, both here and on the dev reflector.   Here's what Joe Taylor said in reply to one person;

“Hi (redacted),
Thanks for sharing your concerns about band plans. Of course we are aware that almost any newly suggested frequency may step on some toes. As stated in the Release Notes, our currently selected trial frequencies follow guidelines being considered by IARU, ARRL, and other amateur radio societies. Some eventual reorganization may need to take place... Or perhaps not. We shall see.
We try to follow world-wide community wishes, not to dictate them.
-- 73, Joe, K1JT”

Neil, KN3ILZ