Re: 31 Flavors scoring issues

Jerry N9AVY

Jim:

Guess I misunderstood it. Sorry. My bad.

Jerry

On Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 01:04:14 PM CDT, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:

Jerry, it is not a logging issue. Logs are correct, but the user is letting the default start time being their start time, and, any contacts made outside six hours of the start time are shown outside the window.

73

Jim

On 4/14/2020 11:37 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
I find it hard to believe anyone would keep contest logs in anything but UTC time. In 43 years of hamming that was one one the first things i learned. My software (MixW) automatically converts local time to UTC and AI'm sure most other software does as well; if it doesn't then that software should be abandoned.

When I was a QSL manager back in the 80's (paper logs back then), Japanese stations had major problems in converting to UTC which resulted in many contacts not receiving QSLs.

If anyone is not using UTC for log keeping, it's time to get on the same page with rest of world.

Just my opinion ...

Jerry n9avy
On Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 11:24:00 AM CDT, David, K9DWR <david@...> wrote:

As some of you know, there have been some oddities with scoring 31 Flavors this time around.

I’ve reviewed all the entries and there are several that show a start time of 1000

KD6FEC
N7ESU
N7RI
NI8Z
WB4JJJ
WB9AYD

I can also tell that all of these would score better if the start time is
adjusted.

While talking to a couple people, I think I’ve nailed down what is really
happening here.  It’s a combination of factors stacking up to mess up scoring.

The first factor is Local time vs UTC.  There have been a couple cases where
difficulty in making sure UTC is used when uploading is throwing off the time.
Remember that all Club Contests are always in UTC.

The second factor is the default option for the uploader is the start of the
contest.  If that isn’t changed to reflect your individual start time, it will
use the start of the contest, which is typically not what you want for 31
Flavors due to the early AM start for most folks.

I have already made adjustments for several people while investigating this
issue.  I am making start-time adjustments for the folks listed above to
maximize their points, as I believe they are hitting one or both of the above
issues as well (some, pretty significantly).

—
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@...