Re: MFJ Anecdote

Mike - W0TMW #2207

I've had a number of MFJ products over the years, mostly tuners, I'll admit, and have had zero problems. My 1990's era antenna analyzer still works, too---better than some of the new other brands when compared in the field.

Mike - W0TMW #2207

  -- William Kershner
https://m-watson.com (Mike Watson - Writer Website)
http://www.crucis.net/1632search
On 4/12/20 1:57 PM, radio@... wrote:

Hello Group,

I know MFJ gets a bad rap sometimes for their quality and quality control, so here is a funny little anecdote.

When I first got my general ticket in 2004, my elmer gave me an old, beat up MFJ 949 Versa Tuner.  I used it for years and made thousands of contacts.   Since I was mostly using multi-band doublets, I decided to splurge on a big, expensive Palstar AT2K tuner.  Lately the variable capacitor on the output didn’t seem to be working, so today I cracked the case.  Turns out the couplers from the dials to the variable capacitors and the inductor are all cracked and damaged, the output has broken failed completely.  They appear to be made of PVC.

So the moral of the story is that I am back to using my supposedly cheap, poorly-made, used MFJ 929 that has never failed in 16+ years .

Go figure.  Another country heard from,

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

--
Mike - W0TMW #2207