Re: St. Pat's Soapbox--my view

Ray Clements

If you want to minimize your exchange during a contest, consider doing what the FT-8 folks do. I know many 070 members detest the FT-8 mode, and they have a right to do so. However, because the number of characters that can be transmitted in each FT-8 transmission is so limited, each exchange includes the minimal information that needs to be transmitted. Of course, since FT-8 is an error corrected mode, unlike PSK, there is no need to transmit call signs and exchange information more than once. With PSK, duplicate transmission of critical information is recommended when conditions are less than ideal, which is typical during a contest.

For example, in FT-8, you would call CQ on Field day by sending
CQ FD N9RWC EN52.    FT-8 protocol, unlike PSK,  requires that grid square information be used on the first call.

Jerry N9AVY would answer my CQ with:
N9RWC N9AVY EN52

In PSK, that same transmission might be sent:
CQ CQ FD DE N9RWC N9RWC PSE K.

The response might be:
N9RWC DE N9AVY N9AVY PSE KN

Although customary in RTTY and PSK contacts, the use of "DE" and "PSE K" and PSE KN is not necessary, but may be useful to end the line if conditions are difficult.

Likewise, how often do you see something like:
N9AVY PSE CPY 1D IL 1D IL DE N9RWC PSE KN

Again, the PSA CPY and PSE KN are not required.

In FT-8, that would be sent in much simpler form as:
N9AVY N9RWC 1D IL

In FT-8, Jerry would confirm receipt of my exchange and send his own own:
N9RWC R N9AVY 1D IL

Since I called CQ, I would then acknowledge receipt of Jerry's exchange and conclude the call.

N9AVY N9RWC RR73

No response from Jerry is needed to log the contact.

In PSK, you would often see:

N9AVY TU GL IN FD 73 DE N9RWC SK.

I fully appreciate that PSK is a more conversational mode than FT-8; thank goodness for that. Thus, it is easy to switch to typed conversation, even during a contest, if both parties to the QSO agree to do so. It is unnecessary to send added exchange information not required by the contest rules, especially things like station macros and weather reports. Some contest require you send a name, a grid square, a 070 number, a sequence number, etc. If such information is required by contest rules, be sure to include it in the standard exchange so it does not have to be requested.  I always program a macro to request missing exchange information. Please leave out any information not required by contest rules.

Jerry (N9AVY), I know you are not a proponent of FT-8, so I apologize for using you as my example, but I figured you would forgive me sooner or later. Smiley

Ray N9RWC