Ray and Jerry,
You guys are really enlightened. Glad to have you in the hobby.

Kevin, K1KL

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 2:09 PM Ray Clements <r.clements@...> wrote:
If you are having a legitimate conversation with someone and they ask about the weather or your station, then by all means provide that information. My gripe is about those who send that information with every contact they make. If I have already seen your station information when you worked a previous contact, I would prefer not to see it again.

Ray N9RWC

------ Original Message ------
From: "Paul Butzi (W7PFB)" <w7pfb@...>
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] WX info with a button for PSK

i have a very sophisticated neural network arrangement to insert current weather data into my psk QSOs when I feel it is appropriate, which is generally when the conversation turns to the weather.

I look out the window from my operating position, and observe what it’s like outside.  Then I type what I see into the text window.  Temperatures are generally accurate to within 5 or 10 degrees F.  Snow depths are judged by looking out the other window into the courtyard, where the snow settles evenly. Wind speed is estimated by watching the tree tops and listening. Intensity of current rainfall is judged by listening to the sound of the rain falling on the standing seam metal roof.

The same neural network also provides reports on: whether my dogs want to go for a walk, what chores I’m neglecting in favor of playing radio, and so on.

The best part is that this neural network system interfaces easily not only with fldigi but also the Kent single paddle keyer, the SSB HF rig, Winlink, and the FM VHF/UHF rigs.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Mar 4, 2020, at 8:05 AM, Ray Clements <r.clements@...> wrote:

Personally, I find station macros and weather macros to be a complete waste of time and bandwidth. Band opening tend to be sporadic these days, so do not waste the opportunities you have.

I could care less which computer, operating system,  or software you are using. If it is 20 degrees F here in Northern Illinois, I do not really want to hear that it is 75 degrees in South Florida, or wherever you might live.

If I am in the middle of a QSO and I start to receive stuff like that, I am likely to drop off the call without ever logging the contact.
If you want to chat, however, I will gladly join in.

Ran N9RWC