Re: WX info with a button for PSK

Kevin Lyons, K1KL

Ray and Jerry,
You guys are really enlightened. Glad to have you in the hobby. 

Kevin, K1KL

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 2:09 PM Ray Clements <r.clements@...> wrote:
If you are having a legitimate conversation with someone and they ask about the weather or your station, then by all means provide that information. My gripe is about those who send that information with every contact they make. If I have already seen your station information when you worked a previous contact, I would prefer not to see it again.

Ray N9RWC

------ Original Message ------
Received: 11:10 AM CST, 03/04/2020
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] WX info with a button for PSK

i have a very sophisticated neural network arrangement to insert current weather data into my psk QSOs when I feel it is appropriate, which is generally when the conversation turns to the weather.

I look out the window from my operating position, and observe what it’s like outside.  Then I type what I see into the text window.  Temperatures are generally accurate to within 5 or 10 degrees F.  Snow depths are judged by looking out the other window into the courtyard, where the snow settles evenly. Wind speed is estimated by watching the tree tops and listening. Intensity of current rainfall is judged by listening to the sound of the rain falling on the standing seam metal roof.

The same neural network also provides reports on: whether my dogs want to go for a walk, what chores I’m neglecting in favor of playing radio, and so on.

The best part is that this neural network system interfaces easily not only with fldigi but also the Kent single paddle keyer, the SSB HF rig, Winlink, and the FM VHF/UHF rigs.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Mar 4, 2020, at 8:05 AM, Ray Clements <r.clements@...> wrote:

Personally, I find station macros and weather macros to be a complete waste of time and bandwidth. Band opening tend to be sporadic these days, so do not waste the opportunities you have.

I could care less which computer, operating system,  or software you are using. If it is 20 degrees F here in Northern Illinois, I do not really want to hear that it is 75 degrees in South Florida, or wherever you might live. 

If I am in the middle of a QSO and I start to receive stuff like that, I am likely to drop off the call without ever logging the contact. 
If you want to chat, however, I will gladly join in.

Ran N9RWC

------ Original Message ------
Received: 07:07 AM CST, 03/04/2020
To: 070 Club PSK Group <070Club@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [070Club] WX info with a button for PSK

Hi Scotty et. al. RE: Automating WX,
I use HRD/DM and I cut and paste into a macro from the NWS text forecast. Takes me 3 seconds, but I have forgotten to update and transmitted weeks' old WX! That's the problem.
I will be purchasing a home WX station and looking for a solution, so this discussion is helpful.

Kevin, K1KL
Hampton, NH
070, #2716

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 1:54 AM Scotty W7PSK <w7psk@...> wrote:

I seem to remember one of the PSK programs (whether MIXW or FL-DIGI) would transmit a weather.txt file.  There was a way to download

weather information into this txt file.   However, FL-DIGI now does WX:XXXX, and in the place of the 4 Xs you put the metar weather

station you want to send data from.   Id rather download my weather station data to a text file and then send that.  And I remember

years ago we added a program that would do that.   But its too long. 

On 3/3/2020 16:31, K8TOM wrote:
Rick,

I also use HRD and have used Ed, W4ELP's program for inserting the wx info into a QSO with the push of a button (or via macro).

It's described by Scott N3FJP here http://www.n3fjp.com/help/digitalsetup.html.

The "bridge" program has quite a lot of additional function, to say the least, and Ed maintains it well.

Tom
K8TOM

--
Scotty W7PSK
Everett, Washington
070 #138

--
Kevin

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.