Re: Membership Requirements

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Ignoring the issue of how 50 QSOs is more of a problem for some hams than for others for a brief moment…

I would observe that despite the world being overrun by FT8 there seems to be a steady stream of new PODXS070 member emails landing in my email inbox.

So perhaps it is not as big an issue as I had thought.  So I have changed my mind and think perhaps 50 is a pretty good balance between the various concerns.

I would favor, though, putting text on the website at some point suggesting that if someone wants to join, they reach out and contact a ham who is a member, who can make a post saying that the aspiring applicant is looking to make their 50, so be on the lookout for them and help them out.  In the past when that’s been done, they make their 50 in short order!

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Dec 31, 2019, at 11:09 AM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Propagation is a lot tougher from the Pacific Northwest to the rest of the USA.  I grew up out there.  In fact, once you get west of the Cascades anywhere in Oregon, Washington, or British Columbia, it gets difficult.  Once you get west of the Coast Range, it gets really tough.  In Barry's case, living in North Vancouver, topography plays a very big role.  Vancouver is at sea level and the mountains come right down to the ocean.  Really fouls up the takeoff angle and makes getting a signal in or out a real challenge., even with good propagation.  Beautiful scenery though...when the rain lets up!
-
Rick - N7WE
Transplanted Genuine Webfoot