Re: Membership Requirements

Paula K7PAX #1739

Thanks Barry and Rick for understanding our position out here in the PNW during this low sunspot situation. I would like to weigh in on the discussion to give more perspective regarding lack of PSK31 activity and the proliferation of FT8. A little background for the newer members who don’t know me - I have been a ham since 2010 and PSK has always been my mode of choice - and I was very active in the 070 contests in the past. But life and circumstances change, and I had to move from a QTH with a hexbeam on a 35ft tower, to an HOA with antenna restrictions. With propagation as it is, and using compromise antennas, I can very rarely make any contacts on PSK, even during contests. That being said, FT8 is about the only way I can get any contacts at all these days. That may be true for lots of folks - it isn’t about automation, or even about gathering as many quick contacts as possible, but rather about operating at all with any success.

Just thought I would put in my 2 cents. But PSK is still my first love, and this club has been so much fun! I have made many good friends, and hope we can continue. It is really unique! I am just waiting for propagation to improve. We all need to wait it out - I am sure that you will see a resurgence once the sunspots cooperate!

Paula K7PAX #1739

On Dec 31, 2019, at 11:09 AM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Propagation is a lot tougher from the Pacific Northwest to the rest of the USA.  I grew up out there.  In fact, once you get west of the Cascades anywhere in Oregon, Washington, or British Columbia, it gets difficult.  Once you get west of the Coast Range, it gets really tough.  In Barry's case, living in North Vancouver, topography plays a very big role.  Vancouver is at sea level and the mountains come right down to the ocean.  Really fouls up the takeoff angle and makes getting a signal in or out a real challenge., even with good propagation.  Beautiful scenery though...when the rain lets up!
-
Rick - N7WE
Transplanted Genuine Webfoot