Re: Membership Requirements

Rick Sterling <KI7OIY@...>

Speaking for myself I have never received a membership packet.

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 3:54 PM Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:
Well, I'm going to come down on the side of "there should be an admission requirement."  070 Club has always been a "no fee" membership organization.  Everything is supported by voluntary donations.  The only exception to this is that International Members are requested to submit a one-time $5.00 PayPal donation to cover the cost of printing and mailing their membership packet.  If at all possible, I would like to see the Club remain this way.

Every new member packet (Domestic and International) contains a Membership Certificate, a Sticker Certificate, and a LONP Sticker Certificate.  Certificates are printed on high quality heavy paper.  They must be mailed in 9x12 envelopes.  The costs associated with a new member mailing, even within the USA, are not insignificant.  In addition, each new membership requires substantial time from our volunteers to prepare and mail the package.

"Sign-up Joiners" are a real fact of life in hobby clubs.  Without some sort of admission hurdle, they come out of the woodwork.  Lots of clubs use annual dues to fund the club and cull the joiners.  In our case, I don't believe it is fair to ask our existing members (and not all members donate!) to bear the additional costs for people who join and may never be heard from again. Nor is it fair to ask the volunteers to investing their time to service "once and never heard from agains."  50 PSK Q's isn't a lot, even with poor prop.  And it does indicate a certain level of interest and commitment to PSK.

I'm OK with changing the admission hurdle.  Maybe have to participate in at least 3 contests?  How about just lowering the required Qs to 25?  Or maybe have to log 10 existing members?  I seem to recall 10-10 did that.  But, I think we should require some investment and commitment on the part of prospective members beyond "I want."  I don't believe club membership, in and of itself, will increase on air PSK activity.  Our contests are now open to all, member or not, and I believe that will and has done more to promote on air activity than dropping a membership hurdle.

Just my opinion.  Yours may vary, and that's OK.