than the quantity of them.

Mike
WM4B

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of David, K9DWR
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2019 5:18 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: [070Club] Membership Requirements

* Don_KB9UMT via Groups.Io <dhobson123=aol.com@groups.io> [2019-12-29
10:00]:

- Why is there requirements that a to become a 070 member you have to have
50
PSK contacts and 1 confirmed?

- Out of all the other digital mode clubs like EPC, DMC, 30MDG, FH, etc.
only
070 requires QSOs prior to becoming a member to become an active 070
member...wouldn't it be better to just let anyone join then get more
active
with 070 and PSK?

-  Noticed that ALL 070 Contests are open to anyone now....so why not open
070 membership to anyone that just wants to join without having 50 PSK
contacts and 1 confirmed?

-  Keep in mind that 50 PSK contacts years ago could be completed in a day
or
even a few hours but with FT8 taking the front seat for most used digital
mode why would you want to limit members that just want to join and now
that
contests are open to anyone wouldn't that make more sense?

-  I have also noticed that most times I am on the 070 Website that over
on
the right side of the Home Page "Who's Online" most times there is between
over 100 to over 200 guests online looking at 070 so why not open it up
for
membership to anyone with no hoops to jump....just request membership then
hope for more members to increase 070 and PSK activity..?

Again just wondering and it would be nice to see 070 membership numbers
and
PSK activity on the bands increase so I'm all for 070/PSK.

Don,

These are some great questions. I would assume the requirement for
coming in with contacts was originally put in place to show a level of
commitment to PSK (probably to weed out "paper chasers" not interested
helping the club as a whole). That's just a guess on my part, but it's
worth reviewing. If there isn't a solid reason for it, it might be time
to change it.

The impetus behind opening the contests to everyone was for similar
reasons, so it's a reasonable thing to consider. Maybe a
modification/combination of both would work instead? For example,
instead of 50 + a confirmed QSO, maybe just the confirmed QSO. I don't
think it would be unreasonable to show at least some minimal proof of an
interest in PSK31. The single QSO would be enough to meet that with a
minimum of effort.

I'd be interested in hearing what more people think about this.

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com