Re: Jay Hudak Memorial Sprint

Bill Garwood

80 meters last night was terrible.  I never saw any stations in the western US or Canada.  Best I got was about 1100 miles and I have a fairly good 80 meter station.  I can usually get the west coast and sometimes Europe and South America with PSK31.  Hopefully the conditions will improve this winter.

In the past, I have worked a lot of EU stations on PSK31 that are in very restricted antenna areas but they still manage to have fun on HF.  Check the web for magnetic loops.  They are easy to build and also for sale.  They are using them on patios, decks and in the backyard on a tripod and even in the living room window.  Set it up, operate for a while then take it back down.  HOA??  What antenna??  Magloops are great for PSK as they are very narrow on the tuning.  Get an 80 meter magloop tuned up on 3.580 and make some contacts (if the propagation cooperates).   Other options include loading up the gutters on the house, flagpoles and similar.  Most small verticals can be tricked to operate with 25 watts or so on 80 meters.  Not very efficient but they can be used.  You can also get one of the HF mobile antennas with the loading coils and rig up something on a sawhorse or other temporary platform.  There are a lot of great ideas on the internet.

See y’all in the next contest.

Bill N4GBK FM16 in NC 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 8, 2019 6:13:41 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [070Club] Jay Hudak Memorial Sprint

I hope everyone here knows my feelings on HOA’s and Ham Radio.  You have 2 choices:  10- Move  2) Eliminate HOA.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, September 8, 2019 4:34 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Jay Hudak Memorial Sprint

... or some of us, due to HOA and lot size restrictions, are unable to work 80 meters at all.  It's not lack of interest.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 3:48 PM Ken Campbell <n6pcd1@...> wrote:

Called CQ 80M sprint last evening on 3.580 from 0500-0600 UTC. Only made two contacts. Saw no other traces. I realize I have a compromise antenna, but there seemed to be plenty of action on the FT4 & FT8 sub-bands close by. I guess nobody is interested in out beloved mode anymore? :-(

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.