Re: History lesson

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Me too Randy!!!

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On May 6, 2019, at 1:16 AM, Randy True <w4rttrandy@...> wrote:

I still have the contacts that I have made on FT in my logbook, but I have removed the software  from my machine. I want nothing further to do with it.

Randy W4RTT

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
Sent: Sunday, May 5, 2019 5:47 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] History lesson

Bob:

I think the author of that article was using “wishful thinking “ on his part; maybe “literary license”.  Don’t believe everything you read.

Have chatted with quite a few hams who have departed from FT8 because they say, “it’s boring”.  The only benefit I can see is that it’s a good way to work a lot of DX in a hurry.

I happened upon PODXS for many of the same reasons you stated.  PODXS is a fun bunch !

You seem to be a fairly consistent signal from CA. Hear you often, but don’t always respond.

RTTY and CW are still viable modes and I believe they’ll be with us for many more years as will PSK31.  Wish there were more PSK stations on the air, but that may be resolved with better propagation.

Jerry   n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, May 5, 2019 3:41 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] History lesson

Just read the FT8 vs RTTY article in May 2019 QST.  In the second paragraph and I quote, "The very popular PSK31, which has been the dominant keyboard digital mode for the past two decades, is being replaced by FT8".  Not sure how how the author came to that conclusion. 
1. I didn't see any sources listed.
2. By the FT communities own admission they just exchange call sign, grid location and signal strength.  My opinion  PSK is in a different amateur radio market if you will.   How does FT8 replace something  with different capabilities?

The article also states that FT8 "uses far less power and simpler antennas than RTTY".  "My opinion" is that most are not using it that way.

Full disclosure, I have used  JT65,, JT9  when I first started five years ago.  It was a nice way for me to transition into the hobby.  I also used FT8 for some time before I got tired of the mode.  Sorry that's the way I feel.
If anything FT8 has replaced JT65 and JT9.  Hard to find anyone using those modes these days.

I stumbled on to PODXS a few years ago and I have never looked back.  I was warmly welcomed and the group was very helpful right from the start.  I just want to thank all the members who have worked hard to give us this venue.  Looking forwarded to many years using PSK.

Sincerely,
Bob  KK6KMU

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.