History lesson

Jerry N9AVY

Few here will probably recall the great AM/SSB “war” that took place in the late 1950’s, but it separated our ham ranks.

At one point AM phone was the only phone mode which was used.  Then, along came SSB which used half the bandwidth, but required more complex circuitry.  In a nutshell, SSB became the mode of choice for the masses and AM phone was relegated to the ham radio basement. (There are still some who hold on to AM , but a very small group.)

Perhaps the handwriting is on the wall for more efficient modes of digital communications. What happens with digital modes is largely up to the majority and all of us will have to live with that.  We’ll just have to see what the future holds.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10