Most Wanted Grids

Steve W3HF

Dick KC3EF mentioned a project I worked on the past few evenings, so I figured I should announce it.

As I had done in August of 2017, I created a list of "Most Wanted Grids" based on the sum total of all QSOs uploaded to the 070 club award checker. (Thank you to David KJ4IZW for making this available!) I downloaded the master file, which consisted of about 2.35 million QSOs. I then deleted QSOs with non-US callsigns, and then QSOs that didn't list a grid square. The result was a database of about 642 thousand QSOs. I then wrote some equations that effectively counted the number of QSOs in each grid. Next, I went through the list and compared to the FFMA list (Fred Fish Memorial Award, an ARRL award for working all grids in the contiguous USA on 6m) to add back in the 14 grids that had zero QSOs. This resulted in a list that had all 488 FFMA grids. Finally, I made annotations next to the 52 grids that are excluded from the 070 grid endorsement program. The result is in an Excel file.

Some interesting observations:

- As I noted above, there are 14 grid squares in CONUS that have zero PSK QSOs reported. Of these, six are excluded from the 070 award. That means there are 8 grids that are "wanted" by 070 members that have never been activated. Almost all of these are in the western US; the one exception is EN28 in northern Minnesota. The list is

DL88
DM85
DN25
DN34
DN52
DN65
DN75
EN28

- There are 42 "070 club" grids that have 10 or fewer QSOs reported.

- Four grids in the 070 excluded list have over 1000 QSOs reported. So even though there isn't much US land in those grids, there are a lot of hams on PSK.

- There are 11 grids with over 7500 QSOs reported

EN82
EM13
EL98
DM13
EN52
EL87
FN31
FN42
FM19
FM18
FN20

The one with the largest count (FN20) has over 21,500 QSOs. (No wonder there's no one that gets excited when I tell them my grid.)

I plan to upload the file to the groups.io web page once I figure out why groups.io won't let me upload.