Re: FT8 vs other modes - my numbers

Brian Wolf Leverich

Hi all -

I did a *lot* of FT8 in 2018, as kinda shows from my IGC standings. ;)

And I have a nuanced perspective on it as a DX mode.

The good news is that FT8 is a high-power mode. There are stations
world-wide that are running a kilowatt or more into yagis and 4-squares.

Combined with FT8's weak-signal decoding, that means it can be a kickass
DX mode even during the years while the propagation gods are sleeping.

The problem is that we have half of all HF QSOs being compressed into
about 2.5 KHz on each band. That means 100 strong stations fill the
band, and a station running 80W next door can pretty efficiently drown
out even a high-power DX station.

About the only time I can work "rare" FT8 DX is during 0800Z-1100Z, not
because of propagation but because most American hams are off the air
during that window.

CW and RTTY can sprawl across 100 KHz or more on each band, and there
are fewer stations spread across all that spectrum. That means there
is less interference between stations and less propensity for local
stations to drown out DX.

FT8 would be a more useful DX mode if they colonized more slices of the
spectrum so stations would spread out and the locals would stop stomping
all over each other and DX stations.

Until they do that, I'll be seeing you on FT8 at 0800Z ...

73 de Wolf (WA6I)

On Sun, Feb 03, 2019 at 09:36:45AM -0600, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

FWIW from another list…