Re: Seeking antenna suggestions

stan W9SMR

Paula,

I asked my APE partner Bob, KC9UR, who each year designs and assembles our antenna farm for the Pontoon Portable APE to give you some suggestions. Here is his response:

"Several things come to mind for multi-band portable operation.

The first would be an LNR Precision Quad End-fed antenna. It's resonant on 40m, 20m, 15m and 10m and can be configured as a vertical, horizontal, sloper or inverted vee. I have one and it performs well. I've used the matching transformer with various other resonant end fed wires on our APEs over the years. LNR is a U.S. Company, so they should be able to deliver quickly.

Another suggestion would be a linked dipole - it would be much more efficient (i.e. it would get out much better) than a hamstick
dipole. They can easily be home-brewed and are light and easy to carry. . Sotabeam in the UK has some nice multi-band portable dipoles, but I don't know how quickly they can deliver. It could be set up as an inverted bee using a tree or fishing pole to support the center, or you could pick up a few more db of gain if the ends are elevated.

Another configuration that we have successfully used on a number of APEs is to use an LNR Quad End-fed matching transformer with a 67 foot length of wire in a 20m half-square configuration. Since it is end-fed, it resonates on 40m, 20m, 15m, and 10m. On 20m it provides 3 to 4 dbi gain in a figure 8 dipole-like pattern. It does require two 20ft high supports spaced around 33ft apart.

Good luck, and have fun in the sun!

Bob, KC9UR."

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of Paula K7PAX #1739 via Groups.Io <hamette=hushmail.com@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 5:33 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: [070Club] Seeking antenna suggestions

Hi group! I am going to Lake Havasu City for a month and want to take my IC7000 with me. I do not have a portable antenna setup to use with it.

I was looking at the MFJ Octopus kit which gives you the hub and a set of 4 pairs of hamsticks. I would buy a tripod and pushup mast for it. Anyone ever used one or anything like it?

One of the questions I have is “which four pairs of hamsticks should I choose?” I am asking this because I know what bands I want to work, but I have read where sometimes one set can tune up on more than one band – 40/20 meters I think. I was thinking I want to work 15, 20, and 40. I also want VHF, so I could either choose a VHF pair, or I could mount my VHF vertical on top, and choose another HF pair, say 10 or 80 meters to fill out the octopus.

I would love to hear everyone chime in and give me their ideas. I am leaving in a week, so I either have to move fast and get something ordered, or just have it shipped to my destination in AZ.

What would you guys do? I’ve never operated portable before. I know a lot of you have.

Paula K7PAX 1739

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.