Re: 2019 PSK Fest—The musing of a tired, old and sometime grumpy mind—MORE

Bill Garwood

Some comments on this subject:

It might be prudent to provide a short paragraph just before each of our contests to remind folks of what they need to do for a proper contest exchange.  We already tell them we need the S/P/C etc.  What we do not tell them is what we do not need.  I get club members sending me their names, membership number, city, county, grid square etc. as part of the contest.  If it is not part of the rules for that particular contest, leave it out.  Contest macros set up before the contest can help.

With that said, I’ve been in a lot of the 070 Club contests and beyond working PSK modes.  When I started with PSK years ago, I was told more than one time that if you want to work DX or contests with digital, “you stay away from PSK as the PSK operators do not know how to operate properly.  RTTY is where the action is.”  I’m a bit hard headed and operated PSK31 anyway and have had a good time working DX, contests and rag chewing.  I was W1AW/4 NC in 2014 and gave out over 900 PSK31 contacts in one week.  I could not get into any kind of flow.  I was the pileup.  Tried to operate split, no one knew how to do it.  Tried to work areas, EU only, W6 only, etc.  nada…Similar problems with the state QSO party, just less stations calling.

PSK folks are not going to get your QSO rate up and if you let that bother you, it will just get your blood pressure rate up.  Our contests are fun and laid back.  Enjoy.  Even the dupes, and the newbies who want you to help them get something going in the middle of you trying to rack up more points and cause you to miss a new one.

Happy Radio 2019!

Bill N4GBK in FM16 NC  #1688

Sent from Mail for Windows 10