From: Stephen Melachrinos
Sent: Sunday, January 6, 2019 6:51 AM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] IOTA Activations

Rick -

Good questions, and important if you want your contacts to be able to claim official IOTA credit.

1. I don't think ANY activation requires pre-authorization, but activation of very rare groups may require documentation (after-the-fact) to prove you actually were there and had authorization to operate. I don't think any Florida groups would qualify--may Dry Tortugas. I had no problem with any that I've activated, and that included VQ9 (which has restrictive travel requirements). I think the rule applies for islands like Bouvet, or Peter I, or that type of rare.

2. I'm pretty sure at this time, paper QSLs are required. (There might be an exception if you activate an island during an IOTA contest and submit--as the activator--your log). And I stated the rules of what has to be printed--the island name which has to be listed as a qualifying island in an island group. But these don't have to be commercially-printed--I've printed my own. In fact, I've printed a couple for some contacts I made with an activator who wasn't using IOTA-compliant cards. (I wanted the credit, printed a card for him to sign, and mailed it to him with an SASE. Of course, I pre-coordinated with him after he sent me one of those non-complying cards.) I think they will also accept the island information on the "QSO information sticker" that logging programs create.

3. I'm not familiar with how ClubLog confirmations work wrt IOTA.

4. I've only submitted paper cards to a checker.