Re: N7WE/P Rick IOTA

Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...>

Rick - if you have interest in /P ops very often, you may wish to check out the Bio-Enno LiFePO4 batteries.  They're the new Lithium Iron Phosphate ones.  They're INCREDIBLE!

You can get 2500-3000 charges on one as compared to MAYBE 700 on an SLA, they weigh a very few pounds (like 5.5 pounds for a 20Ah battery), they maintain over *13* volts until 90% used, then automatically shut down to prevent damage to the battery.  Yes, they're a good bit more expensive, but think about the cost of 4-5 SLA's that you can only discharge to 50% TOPS without damaging the battery permanently, think about the higher voltage that the radios prefer, and think about the crazy weight advantage!

A friend and I operated from FDR State Park in Pine Mountain, GA yesterday for about 4.5 hours making over 100 QSOs at *100 watts* and we used less than half the battery's charge according to the little PowerWerx monitor that he got to go with it.

It's 12Ah, so you can fly with it without the TSA losing their minds about it.  That's the very reason he got the 12Ah instead of the 20Ah model that a couple other folks in the club have gotten.  As you can see, they come with Anderson Power Poles already installed.

They (Bio Enno) are at most decent hamfests as well. They can also be had from HRO and Amazon.

These things are the only way to go these days, I'm convinced!

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 10:11 AM Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:
Well the activation did not go as good as I had hoped.  Cedar Key is neat with an interesting history, but I immediately encountered battery problems and had to repeatedly reduce TX power to keep things going.  Once you get below 20w into a ham stick.....well my reach was not good.  I did see you Loren and tried to connect, but I didn't have enough power to overcome the QSB.  I did manage to work 4 stations - Don K9DEB, Andy WB7DKZ/9, Brandon KC9YYT, and Rolland KJ6DQ before I had to give up entirely.  The SLA was fully charged before leaving home, but evidently it has reached EOL as it went away like it didn't want to be there!  So a new one will be ordered before my next /P attempt.

This was my first try at activating an IOTA and I'm not entirely sure what is needed for you four to claim credit towards official IOTA Chaser awards.  But I did upload to ClubLog which, if I have it right, will match and credit NA-076 to you.

Thanks to those who worked me, thanks to those who tried, and thanks to all who looked but couldn't see me.  And my apologies to those who tried and I didn't get you. It was still fun. Florida has 10 different IOTA Island Groups - some of them close by - so there may be another "attempted activation" in the future.