My larger point was that people often power down equipment, and while I don’t advocate wasting power it’s often the power cycling that puts wear and tear on the gear, and not the power on hours.  And at least in the first world, electricity is surprisingly cheap.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Dec 28, 2018, at 8:41 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Paul:

As with all electronic devices “if something can go wrong it will”.    Unless you have some way to remotely shut down everything from the remote location , it’s probably not a good idea to run a remote.  For example,  if you rig at home locks up in transmit and you have no way of shutting it down, what do you do ?  If you have a good neighbor to call who has a key for your house, you’re out of luck.  You are in violation of FCC rules by transmitting a continuous carrier with an ID.

Back in the days of telephone lines when they were connected to alarm systems there was a problem called “runaway alarm”  which meant that the alarm would call the monitoring service continuously until the alarm was shut down manually.  So, if the person was on vacation for a week or two, they would get a HUGE telephone bill !  Not good.  Because of this happening many police department outlawed tape dialers (a continuous tape running wild which would tie up phone lines for hours or days).  This is all old technology which is pretty much gone now, but it did happen on many occasions.

Back to remote operation.  There needs to be a back up plan to shut everything down in case of problems. As a responsible Amateur Radio Operator one needs to have a plan B.   Even in Summer and other seasons lightning could be a problem.  If you take a “hit” it will probably knock out most everything in the station.  Worse case scenario, the house could burn down… happy homecoming.  One needs to consider worst case scenarios and try to prepare as best as possible for them.  Like the BSA motto, “Be Prepared” !

Just some thoughts on remote operation…

Jerry   N9AVY

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2018 10:15 AM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] 2018 - 365

I don’t understand why you’re averse to just leaving the laptop turned on all the time.  The power supply for the laptop is probably on the order of 60 watts, so the power cost is something on the order of $0.30/day.  Call it $3 a week.  (It would probably be far less than that - the laptop probably consumes far less than 60w at idle)

Likewise not sure why you wouldn’t just leave the radio on.  I often leave both computer and radio on, fldigi running, with the entire setup spotting psk31 on 20m and posting the results to pskreporter.info.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Dec 28, 2018, at 7:53 AM, Lewis Karriker (Sonny) - K4ARE - #2347 <ltkarriker@...> wrote:

Thanks Karl for the info - I can operate using Team Viewer and I can purchase a smart plug for the radio.  My question is how can I turn on the home laptop - just applying power will not turn it on, have to push the on button and certainly don't want to leave the laptop on for a week or so.  I did get home in time to get 12/28 which I needed.

Thanks for any help you can give

Lewis - K4ARE

On 12/27/2018 10:14 PM, Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645 wrote:

I actually just returned from a week in Florida, and I was not traveling with a radio, but still managed my at least one contact a day (plus 14 on Christmas Day) using a Remote Desktop application to remote control my computer and radio. The radio is powered via a smart plug that i can control via the internet. I took a calculated risk by leaving the antenna connected (not too many thunderstorms in December in Western New York).

It can be done, but requires a bit of planing and testing to make sure that all parts are in place and are actually workin together.

If you need some tips, just shoot me an email.

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

<590F80212F024A0B8D00F2963F27ACAE.png>