Re: 2018 - 365

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I don’t understand why you’re averse to just leaving the laptop turned on all the time.  The power supply for the laptop is probably on the order of 60 watts, so the power cost is something on the order of $0.30/day.  Call it $3 a week.  (It would probably be far less than that - the laptop probably consumes far less than 60w at idle)

Likewise not sure why you wouldn’t just leave the radio on.  I often leave both computer and radio on, fldigi running, with the entire setup spotting psk31 on 20m and posting the results to pskreporter.info.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Dec 28, 2018, at 7:53 AM, Lewis Karriker (Sonny) - K4ARE - #2347 <ltkarriker@...> wrote:

Thanks Karl for the info - I can operate using Team Viewer and I can purchase a smart plug for the radio.  My question is how can I turn on the home laptop - just applying power will not turn it on, have to push the on button and certainly don't want to leave the laptop on for a week or so.  I did get home in time to get 12/28 which I needed.

Thanks for any help you can give

Lewis - K4ARE

On 12/27/2018 10:14 PM, Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645 wrote:
I actually just returned from a week in Florida, and I was not traveling with a radio, but still managed my at least one contact a day (plus 14 on Christmas Day) using a Remote Desktop application to remote control my computer and radio. The radio is powered via a smart plug that i can control via the internet. I took a calculated risk by leaving the antenna connected (not too many thunderstorms in December in Western New York).

It can be done, but requires a bit of planing and testing to make sure that all parts are in place and are actually workin together.

If you need some tips, just shoot me an email.

Karl Heinz - K5KHK