Re: Quote of the month

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I’m not sure I see the reason for the strong feelings that FT8 seems to provoke. I’ve tried FT-8, at the strong urging of a friend who is a FT8 addict in much the same way I have been a PSK addict. I didn’t find it all that enchanting but I do see why it has appeal.

But I know one big FT-8 operator who was a participant in recent DXpedition that involved considerable hardship and concluded that the hams who went were, if nothing else, quite intrepid and rather the opposite of lazy.

I also know a fair number of hams who spend time using FT8 who are quite active in comm for community events and the local EMCOMM community service circles. Many of the FT8 folks I know also invest heavily in elmering new hams, in being VE for exams, and trying to build the amateur radio community.

Amateur radio includes a lot of things. CW, PSK31, SSB, moonbounce. EMCOMM, community service. There’s no rule that says hams must be interested and involved in all of those things, and there’s no rule that everything must appeal to everyone. I’m not really interested in contesting but I know a bunch of hams who are *all about* contesting and who have absolutely no interest in some of the things that I’m currently interested in. And yet somehow we seem to get along just fine.

I’m not opposed to good natured ribbing, and I think the puppy quote is sufficiently funny that I’ll forward it on to my FT8 enthused friend. But there’s no way I’m on board with saying that FT8 operators being lazy or conform to negative stereotypes. Just… no.

You don’t like FT8. I get it. But couldn’t we all just get along instead of tearing each other down?

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Nov 15, 2018, at 8:14 AM, Justin Mattes--KC2GIK <kc2gik@justinmattes.com> wrote:

I'm thinking of petitioning the ARRL for not handing out (not earning)
awards for FT-8 because that's what they're doing. People who do FT-8 are
lazy and fit every stereotype ever associated with ham radio operators

Justin KC2GI

Was “reading the mailâ€&#65533; this morning and saw this great quote, “
was thinking about teaching my 6 month old puppy how to work FT-8 and see
if she can get WAS in a week ….â€&#65533; !

Almost spit out my coffee… 😊

Jerry n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--