Re: 2m & 70cm Repeater question...

W7RIV

Thanks everyone for the input. It is something I would like to use more of just so I can mess around with the radio even when I'm not at home! I'm also registering my Jeep with a local Emergency Recovery Team and they have a new repeater, part of this has to deal with helping others understand it more as well. =)

Thanks again,
Bryon, W7RIV

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 9:59 AM Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...> wrote:
Thanks, Jerry, for reminding me of the tone burst.

I didn't think about it since it's primarily a European thing these days.  I guess there's some US repeaters using it, but none around here.

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 11:57 AM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

PL or Private Line is copyright by Motorola just as GE uses Channel Guard. It’s al same thing : CTCSS or Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System.

The “tone’ on radios as opposed to CTCSS is actually a tone burst used to unlock a repeater. Although on some radios I’ve heard that CTCSS and Tone may be reversed.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, October 8, 2018 10:35 AM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] 2m & 70cm Repeater question...

Hey, Bryon - there is no difference. CTCSS is the technical name for it. 

"PL Tone" was Motorola's trademark for "Private Line Tone", but it's all the same.

Carry on, sir! :-)

Matt King

AK4MK - 070 #1708

PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 11:22 AM W7RIV <nnegrom@...> wrote:

I know this is slightly off topic, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. I was curious what the difference was in "Tone" and "CTCSS" when programming a handietalkie. There are local repeaters here in Salt Lake City, and I think people use them interchangeably. The Frequency coordinator calls out at CTCSS, but I think I've programmed my radio when it shows the "Tone"...I cannot remember if I've programmed it when it shows "CT"

Thanks,

Bryon, W7RIV

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.